FALSE PRESS RELEASE

October 5, 2011
By

Its come to our attention that a false and misleading press release was faxed to the Portland Public Police department. Any and all press releases will be issued directly through this website as it is our main hub for disseminating information. We would kindly ask that professional organizations such as the PPD verify their sources before issuing their own public response as we live in the digital age and it is very easy for someone to copy one of our fliers and present false information to the public in-hopes of undermining our credibility.

The False Press release seen here: http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2011-10/3056/48245/Occupy_Portland_FAX.pdf

Fax number 1-877-233-3839 traces back to:
Vannet Technology
PO Box 28595
4050 Hastings Street
Burnaby, BC
Canada V5C 6J4

27 Responses to FALSE PRESS RELEASE

1. Stephen Perry on October 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Yes, I was VERY relieved to read this was fake after reading the local news story about it…the Police jumped the gun for sure…the fax is so poorly written, shame on them for believing it!

• LynsieLee on October 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I hope this is not a foreshadow to how the police will react to the protest..

2. MarkDilley on October 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Yea – a quick search on google for the fax number reveals this number being from a free fax website.

PPD = Portland Police Department and their weblog post: http://www.portlandonline.com/police/pbnotify.cfm?action=ViewContent&content_id=2482

3. Kim Antieau on October 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm

This begs the question though: Is there a permit or isn’t there?

• kiera on October 6, 2011 at 7:02 am

yeah i want to know too lol…

4. Ernest on October 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Why no permit or route information for PPD? They’re trying to help. The fact you’re not providing this information makes me question whether the faxed release is false.

I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

5. pdxsa on October 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I noticed KGW post a tweet on twitter about how the occupy Portland movement was planning on “disrupting the city” and their “evidence” was a fax sent to the Portland police bureau.I knew INSTANTLY that this was false and I am glad you guys were able to catch it!

6. Shasta on October 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Damn.

This really looks like it’s going to get violent tomorrow. I hope I’m wrong, but there’s too much of this sort of sentiment (i.e. the fake press release) floating around.

Remember folks: the police are part of the 99 percent too. Their salaries and pensions have been slashed. They are having to work overtime to ensure our free and peaceful expression. Demonizing them or inciting riots will only turn mainstream against us.

• Matt on October 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Until the police stop using violence and repression to support the status quo they are part of the militarization of our country to keep down the 99%. Until they revolt with us, they are part of the problem

7. MeiLin Miranda on October 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Vannet Technology owns http://www.gotfreefax.com/ so I don’t think they themselves had anything to do with this; it was just someone using the service.

8. Crash on October 6, 2011 at 12:40 am

Searched for that company name online. Apparently the FAX was sent through “Got Free FAX” website, owned by that company. Somebody playing spy vs spy, but all by themselves. See:

9. Benjamin Woodruff on October 6, 2011 at 2:15 am

I imagine these things happen on purpose. Lots of people don’t want the ‘message’ to continue spreading, though it’s unstoppable.

Rest assured, we will all be watching, which is the important part.

10. Nicholi on October 6, 2011 at 7:05 am

The fax below does not represent the entire group of “Occupy Portland”. The words “Notorious Brutality” are used to create a tone of anger in order to incite incidents on Thursday, OCT 6th 2011. This web page has been documented for future use. In order to restore credibility to the Portland Police Bureau we ask that you please take this link down.

It is your duty to de-escalate circumstances not incite violence.

Posted to their site @ 5am 10-6-11

11. richwa on October 6, 2011 at 8:39 am

We need to remember that violence was an option discussed by the Wisconsin powers that be: “…a Deputy Prosecutor in Johnson County, Indiana, Carlos Lam, suggested that Governor Walker should mount a “false flag” operation which would make it appear as if the union was committing violence.” — https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests” We must make sure that NO VIOLENCE NOR THREAT OF VIOLENCE IS TOLERATED.

12. Jessica on October 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

It seems like there really isn’t a permit and I want to go but am the only employed person in a family of three with a mortgage. I cannot risk my job at this point…can someone explain to me why there isn’t a permit for the march?

13. B on October 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

If you are going to say that a press release is false and misleading, you should offer the facts that counter that. Like, “Yes, we have a permit.”

14. Peggy McCarthy on October 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I have been a progressive non-violent political activist for fifty years like a number of other attendees at the gathering today where many issues were presented. However, it seems to me that there are four key issues facing the nation today and if we cannot deal with these in a positive way we will have lost the fight and the nation as we know it: 1) Jobs for all who want and need them with fair, livable wages; 2) protecting the right to vote that is being taken away in the majority of states right now from the poor, from minorities, from college students, the military and those who could not vote in the last election… we must fight for the right for all people over 18 to be able to vote; 3) correcting the very lopsided tax structure that favors the 1%; and 4), last but by no means least, we must work toward a single pay health care system to prevent running our federal and state governments and businesses into the ground. I am over 65 so of course Social Security is of importance; I am also concerned greatly about the environment, education, ending the needless wars, support for NIH and many other issues but please don’t let these issues take precedence over the jobs and the right to vote. If we lose these then we have no way to fight for all the other things that are of great importance.

15. Rick on October 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

What a bummer! The actions described in the fake press release would have made for a far more effective demonstration, instead of some comfortable “liberal” rally. Permits and police cooperation are bullshit, and everyone should know this. Asking permission from the state and being afraid to take real action defeats this whole purpose. OCCUPY Portland, remember?

16. CW on October 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I use that fax service all the time, it is a customer-centric operation. I would write them and ask if they would reveal the source IP or the request.
    Also a valid email is required as a confirmation link is sent to initiate the fax.
    They are good people from my experience.

17. Rick K on October 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Vannet Technology is probably just the internet provider for the fax server. The listed address on Hastings street in Burnaby is a drug store that provides post office and fax services. The RCMP could investigate who sent this false statement to Portland Police from this location. Perhaps there is store video. Someone needs to find out exactly when the fax was sent.

18. Milwaukee Bucks Jerseys on October 8, 2011 at 2:26 am

I liked reading your submit. I have got to admit it was the very first content on your weblog I genuinely liked and where I had a feeling of understanding, know what I mean? Anyhow, maintain the posting and I’m going to be back again.

19. Caitlin Noble on October 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for this interesting article. I’ve book marked this page because I hope you write more articles soon, I plan to share this.

20. cheap classic short ugg boots on October 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thanks a lot for the smart writeup. By the way, how can we communicate?

21. MargeryMejia32 on November 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm

This is cool that we can receive the business loans and that opens new chances.

22. Loestrin 24 Fe Patient Savings Card on November 23, 2011 at 3:31 am

Loestrin 24…

[...]below are several url links to internet pages which I link to as we feel they’re worth visiting[...]…

23. Bail Bonds Los Angeles on November 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Bail Bonds Los Angeles…

[...]here are a few links to internet pages which we link to since we feel they are definitely worth visiting[...]…

24. Jerry on December 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Always the best content from these prodigious wreirts.